Beastly Wisdom. Issue 14
“Dogs do speak, but only to those who know how to listen.”
I have never met a dog I didn't like. And I have loved many. I crumble into a silly mess of dog talk and kisses whenever I meet a dog, as anyone who knows me will tell. But five special dogs have been my greatest teachers. More than any book or professor, these five wise beasts have shaped me. And whatever good I have inside of me, I have learned watching and listening to them, whatever bad resides within me is purely human. And whatever care I take in attending to what is important vs the silly in my life has been modeled first by them.
Let me introduce you to my five four-legged wise-'pack'. Red, a soulful Irish Setter, my first love. Hey Dude, a scrappy border collie mix who lived until an ancient cranky 20. Puck, my beautiful, funny boy, an 80 lb German Shorthair Pointer. Sweet Kira, the shy Rottie mix who made me earn her trust, and finally Waffles, the love of my life, a pitbull and the sweetest dog you will ever know.
As so as a public service to you, I will pass on 10 gifts from my pack.
- Be unabashedly and shamelessly happy with the essence of you.
- Love with crazy abandon.
- Greet every new day with wild and hopeful expectation.
- Thrill in this very moment, and the next, and the next.
- Never lose wonder in small things.
- Be playful, knowing that play makes the toy, not the other way round
- Make ample time to do nothing, then find the something in it.
- Be vulnerable, trust in loving hands and spirits.
- Wiggle your butt often, and kiss more.
- Fully express joy. It will be returned to you.
"Because of the dog's joyfulness, our own is increased. It is no small gift" ―
Leave a comment